otaku
welcome ! Make sure that you've made your own member, and posting here ! there's much fun posting on this forum :) we'll serve you the best !
your sincerely,
Otaku Administrator
otaku
welcome ! Make sure that you've made your own member, and posting here ! there's much fun posting on this forum :) we'll serve you the best !
your sincerely,
Otaku Administrator
otaku
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

otaku

HomewelcomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Top posters
admin david trisno
2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_vote_lcap2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_voting_bar2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_vote_rcap 
aikido445
2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_vote_lcap2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_voting_bar2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_vote_rcap 
crabster
TsUbaki_Jun1
Mikuotaku
Yamamoto
Latest topics
» THE LAST POST IN THIS SITE :( ( we are run out of intrest R.I.P otaku)
2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 9:13 am by aikido445

2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 4:37 am by admin david trisno

» otaku in DANGER!
2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 05, 2010 4:36 am by admin david trisno

» MENGEMBANGKAN OTAKU
2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 31, 2010 7:33 am by aikido445

» otaku uda jarang d buka
2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 4:03 pm by admin david trisno

» JOKES: orang cadel vs tukang nasi goreng
2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 4:24 am by admin david trisno

» JOKES: pelecehan seksual
2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 4:23 am by admin david trisno

» JOKES: indonesia is lawakan
2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 4:23 am by admin david trisno

» nuoooooo!!!! KHR TAMAAAAAAT!!!!!! OAO""
2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 01, 2010 4:22 am by admin david trisno

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 61 on Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:37 am
Navigation
 Portal
 Indeks
 Anggota
 FAQ
 Pencarian

2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah

Go down 
AuthorMessage
admin david trisno
webmaster
webmaster
admin david trisno

2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah Empty
PostSubject: 2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah   2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 4:06 pm

2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah Capt_f10

SALT LAKE CITY – Scientists said Wednesday they've discovered fossils in the southern Utah desert of two new dinosaur species closely related to the Triceratops, including one with 15 horns on its large head.

The discovery of the new plant-eating species — including Kosmoceratops richardsoni, considered the most ornate-headed dinosaur known to man — was reported Wednesday in the online scientific journal PLoS ONE, produced by the Public Library of Science.

The other dinosaur, which has five horns and is the larger of the two, was dubbed Utahceratops gettyi.

"It's not every day that you find two rhino-sized dinosaurs that are different from all the other dinosaurs found in North America," said Mark Loewen, a Utah Museum of Natural History paleontologist and an author of the paper published in PLoS ONE.

"You would think that we know everything there is to know about the dinosaurs of western North America, but every year we're finding new things, especially here in Utah," he said.

[Related: How and where you can find fossils]

The Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument has been a hotbed for dinosaur species discoveries in the past decade, with more than a dozen new species discovered. While it is a rocky, arid place now, millions of years ago it was similar to a swamp.

The Utahceratops has a large horn over the nose and short eye horns that project to the side rather than upward, similar to a bison. Its skull is about 7 feet long, it stood about 6 feet high and was 18 to 22 feet long. It is believed to have weighed about 3 to 4 tons.

The Kosmoceratops has similar facial features at the Utahceratops, but has 10 horns across the rear margin of its bony frill that point downward and outward. It weighed about 2.5 tons and was about 15 feet long.

The horns on both animals range in length from about 6 inches to 1 foot.

[Related: Just what are fossils, anyway?]

Paleontologists say the discovery shows that horned dinosaurs living on the same continent 76 million years ago evolved differently.

Scientists say that other horned dinosaurs lived on the same ancient continent known as Laramidia in what is now Alberta, Canada.

The numerous horns are believed to have been used to attract mates and intimidate sexual competitors, similar to horns on deer.

"The horns really are probably developed at puberty, because most likely these are signals for mate recognition, competition between males, things like that," Loewen said. "They're sexual signals and really that's how we think this group of dinosaurs divided."
Back to top Go down
https://otaku.forumakers.com

2 new dinosaur species discovered in southern Utah
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
otaku :: entertainment-
Jump to: